Rating:
No votes cast

Short's Bridge

Photos 

Close view of illustration showing the bridge

Illustration by A. Ruger, 1869

Enlarge

View larger version

BH Photo #337974

Map 

Description 

The first bridge built at this location, named for adjacent land owner H.W. Short. The name Mill Street in reference to this bridge and those that were built later doesn't come from the name of the road that connects Danville and Vermilion Heights, but rather from the former name of Logan Avenue.

An interesting piece of history about the bridge from "History of Vermilion County Vol. l" by Lottie E. Jones, 1911

"In 1866 and 67 an attempt was made to build a bridge at public expense on the site now occupied by the Mill Street or Woolen Mill bridge. The means used were illegal and Mr Palmer fought the case in the courts and prevented payment for the bridge from the public funds. As characteristic of Mr Palmer's honesty, he refused to use the bridge and always crossed the stream at the ford."

Facts 

Overview
Lost Through truss bridge over North Fork Vermilion River on Bridge Street in Danville
Location
Danville, Vermilion County, Illinois
Status
Replaced by a new bridge
History
Built ca. 1868?, replaced in 1890
Design
Two span through truss
Approximate latitude, longitude
+40.12771, -87.64185   (decimal degrees)
40°07'40" N, 87°38'31" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
16/445313/4442128 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Danville NW
Inventory number
BH 69316 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • September 23, 2015: Added by Jacob P. Bernard

Related Bridges 

Sources 

  • Jacob P. Bernard