Riddle Hill Covered Bridge
Photo taken by Jeremy Ruble
BH Photo #477428
Written by Jeremy Ruble
This bridge has been called Riddle Hill, Curran, and Spring Creek Covered Bridge. The actual name is Riddle Hill, but most of the locals call it Spring Creek Covered Bridge.
- Lost Burr Arch truss bridge over Spring Creek on County Road 5.5 W
- Sangamon County, Illinois
- Destroyed by arson
- Built in 1883; lost to possible arson fire in 1977
- - Thomas C. Bucher
- Burr arch-truss
Total length: 60.0 ft.
Deck width: 13.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 10.0 ft.
- Also called
- Spring Creek Covered Bridge
Curran Covered Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.80324, -89.75790 (decimal degrees)
39°48'12" N, 89°45'28" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/263895/4409557 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 90097 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- July 31, 2020: Essay added by Jeremy Ruble
- July 29, 2020: Updated by Luke: Added links to sources section
- July 29, 2020: Updated by Jeremy Ruble: I have articles from the historical society proving Iím right. I will be contacting them today.
- July 28, 2020: Updated by Luke: Reverted name to one recalled by Tony Dillon and proven by research by Melissa Bramd-Welch
- July 28, 2020: Updated by Jeremy Ruble: Corrected info to historical facts not word of mouth
- July 28, 2020: New photos from Melissa Brand-Welch
- July 28, 2020: Updated by Tony Dillon: Added name that bridge was commonly referred to.