First Bridge (1856)
Photo courtesy of the Rock Island District, U. S. Corps of Engineers
BH Photo #317661
First railroad bridge across the Mississippi River. Was considered a navigational hazard. Two weeks after the bridge opened, the steamboat Effie Afton rammed part of the bridge, catching it on fire. Bridge only lasted a decade before is was needing to be reinforced due to heavier railroad loads.
- Lost Howe through truss bridge over Mississippi River
- Rock Island, Rock Island County, Illinois, and Scott County, Iowa
- Built 1856, Replaced 1866.
- - James B. Locke of Binghampton, New York
- John Warner of Rock Island, Illinois (Masonry)
- Stone, Boomer & Bouton of Chicago, Illinois & Davenport, Iowa (Superstructure)
- - Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad (CRIP (1866-1920); RI (1920-1975) ROCK (1975-1980))
Length of largest span: 286.0 ft.
Total length: 1,536.0 ft.
- Also called
- First Railroad Bridge Across The Mississippi River
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.52060, -90.55897 (decimal degrees)
41°31'14" N, 90°33'32" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/703678/4599427 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Davenport East
- Inventory numbers
- WGCB IA-15-82-U01#1x (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
WGCB IL-81-U01#1x (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
BH 49189 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- March 22, 2022: New photo from Luke
- September 25, 2018: New photo from Douglas Butler
- April 26, 2015: New photo from Paul Hamby
- March 1, 2015: New photo from Luke
- February 2, 2014: New Street View added by Luke Harden
- July 22, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added category "First of its kind"
- July 7, 2013: New photo from Luke Harden
- February 20, 2013: Photo imported by Luke Harden
- May 29, 2012: Photo imported by Luke Harden
- January 18, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added link to an image.
- September 9, 2011: Updated by Luke Harden: edited overview
- July 26, 2011: Updated by Luke Harden: added First Railroad Bridge Across The Mississippi River as an alternate name
- July 25, 2011: Updated by Luke Harden: added builders and a photograph