Rating:
No votes cast

Abandoned C&A - Twin Culvert (N)

Photos 

Twin Culvert (N)

Overview

Photo taken by John Marvig in June 2016

Enlarge

BH Photo #357334

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The railroad built two embankments through this valley that has a small, intermittent stream that joins Hill Creek. The earlier northern one was abandoned when the southern one was built. The stream and Old Pearl Road, or Township Road 461, share the stone arch culverts, or tunnels. At the culverts the two embankments are approximately 230 ft (70 m) apart. In between the embankments is a cave that is part of the Twin Culverts Cave Nature Preserve.

Facts 

Overview
Stone arch bridge over Old Pearl Road on Abandoned Chicago & Alton Railway
Location
Pike County, Illinois
Status
Intact but closed to all traffic
History
Built 1870, Bypassed and Closed in 1889
Railroad
- Chicago & Alton Railroad (C&A)
Design
Stone arch
Dimensions
Span length: 30.0 ft.
Total length: 30.0 ft.
Approximate latitude, longitude
+39.44612, -90.66351   (decimal degrees)
39°26'46" N, 90°39'49" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
15/701054/4368890 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Pearl West
Inventory number
BH 72577 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Categories 

19th Century (6,493)
Arch (11,366)
Built 1870 (118)
Built during 1870s (929)
Chicago & Alton Railroad (61)
Closed (2,504)
Deck arch (10,615)
Have street view (24,266)
Illinois (4,107)
Owned by railroad (10,600)
Pike County, Illinois (84)
Railroad (13,963)
Span length 25-50 feet (14,329)
Stone arch (2,724)
Total length 25-50 feet (10,296)

Update Log 

  • October 16, 2018: New photos from Jeremy Ruble
  • September 27, 2017: New photo from Jeremy Ruble
  • September 5, 2016: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
  • June 28, 2016: New photos from John Marvig
  • June 23, 2016: Added by John Marvig

Sources