Glen Oak Park Iron Suspension Bridge
Photo taken by Steve Conro in April 2016
BH Photo #352699
The original iron suspension bridge was constructed in Glen Oak Park in 1902. Compiled of masonry columns, a system of braided steel cables support two, 25 foot approach spans and one, 50 foot clear span of the wooden deck suspension bridge. Initially, the iron suspension bridge was designed to provide public access from the pavilion to the lily pond, palm house and assorted gardens. Major structural repairs and renovations to the bridge were completed in 1926 and 1952. In 2002, the entire wooden deck was removed and replaced.
In conjunction with the Glen Oak Zoo project, Clark Engineers completed a thorough evaluation of the structure in 2003. The bridge was found to need significant structural repairs and was closed to protect public safety.
Park District staff sought funding for repairs in the 2008 capital budget, but it was not approved.
Peoria Dist website
- Wire suspension bridge over park road on Closed pedestrian path
- Peria, Peoria County, Illinois
- Intact but closed to all traffic
- Built 1902
- Wire/cable suspension
Length of largest span: 50.0 ft.
Total length: 100.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.71607, -89.57310 (decimal degrees)
40°42'58" N, 89°34'23" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/282661/4510423 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 72041 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 30, 2016: Added by Steve Conro