M&StL - Mississippi River Bridge
Looking upstream from Keithsburg, IL
Photo taken by Nathan Morton in Aug. 07
BH Photo #127396
The bridge was constructed for the Iowa Central in 1909. The IC was bought by the Minneapolis & St. Louis Railroad (M&StL) in 1910, which was subsequently purchased by the Chicago & Northwestern (CNW) in 1960. Rail traffic across the bridge was discontinued in 1971 when the line was abandoned by the CNW. The vertical lift section was locked in the up /open position until the lift portion was accidentally destroyed by fireworks and the ensuing fire on June 29, 1981. The 220 ft lift section fell into the river blocking river traffic on the main channel of the Mississippi River for more than a week until it was removed by the US Army Corps of Engineers.
- May 22, 2017: New photo from Dana and Kay Klein
- May 31, 2015: New photo from Luke
- April 25, 2015: New photo from Dylan VanAntwerp
- May 12, 2014: New photo from Dylan VanAntwerp
- May 8, 2014: New photo from Dylan VanAntwerp
- August 15, 2013: New photos from John Marvig
- July 10, 2013: New photo from John Marvig
- March 18, 2013: Updated by John Marvig: Added information
- August 9, 2012: Updated by Daniel Hopkins: Added category "Railroad"
- July 27, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Paraphrased history and moved it ito the description box, added exact historical dates
- March 22, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added category "Chicago & North Western Railway"
- April 25, 2009: Updated by Curtis Lee
- March 14, 2009: Updated by Curtis Lee: Added coordinates and elevation.
- November 10, 2008: Added by Nathan Morton