Bridge 1 with bridge 2 beyond
Photo taken by Steve Conro in February 2012
BH Photo #225204
This is where the the former Chicago & Northwestern Railway spur broke away from the main, crossed under and went down the Fox Valley. Its now the UPRR Harvard (over)and McHenry(under)Subdivisions
There's actually two bridges at this location. One 20' 2 track pony plate with large stone abutments and another 1 track steel stringer with a timber approach with concrete abutment and pier. The 2 track is the UP/Metra main line where the single is just a short dead end siding maybe and old industrial spur added later. The bridge plaque is on the single bridge so I don't know if the builder info is correct for both bridges.
- Pony/through plate girder bridge over UPRR (former C&NW RR) on UPRR (Former C&NW)
- Crystal Lake, McHenry County, Illinois
- Open to traffic
- - American Bridge Co. of New York
- - Chicago & North Western Railway (CNW)
- Union Pacific Railroad (UP)
- two separate bridges here one two track Pony plate girder and one single track steel stringer w/timber approach.
Total length: 20.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.24274, -88.31446 (decimal degrees)
42°14'34" N, 88°18'52" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/391552/4677564 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Crystal Lake
- Inventory number
- BH 51256 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 9, 2012: Updated by Daniel Hopkins: Added category "Railroad"
- February 10, 2012: Updated by Steve Conro: Added category "Chicago & North Western Railway"