Rating:
No votes cast

BN - Wood River Bridge

Photos 

the bridge in question is the one in the background. the bridge in the foreground is used by Norfolk Southern Railway.

Photo taken by Kim Harvey in September 2009

Enlarge

BH Photo #146669

Map 

access 

Written by Kim Harvey

this bridge can be access by walking the dirt road on top of the levee along the east bank of the creek, but the entire area is private property.

Facts 

Overview
Pony/through plate girder bridge over Wood River Creek on Burlington Northern Railroad
Location
Madison County, Illinois
Status
Derelict/abandoned
History
Built 1900
Builders
- American Bridge Co. of New York (Lassig Plant at Chicago; Main Span)
- Chicago Bridge & Iron Works of Chicago, Illinois (1917 Approach)
Railroads
- Burlington Northern Railroad (BN)
- Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad (CBQ)
Design
Pony/through plate girder
Approximate latitude, longitude
+38.88999, -90.11746   (decimal degrees)
38°53'24" N, 90°07'03" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
15/750013/4308518 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Bethalto
Inventory number
BH 41818 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • October 14, 2017: Updated by Luke: Added builders per Daniel's photography
  • October 13, 2017: New photos from Daniel Barnes
  • February 19, 2010: Updated by Kim Harvey: GPS
  • September 25, 2009: New photo from Kim Harvey
  • March 22, 2009: Essay added by Kim Harvey

Sources 

Comments 

Wood River Creek Abandoned Railroad Bridge
Posted September 27, 2009, by Albert E. Bertram (abertram8297 [at] charter [dot] net)

The abandoned railroad bridge behind the larger one (KCS Railroad/Amtrak)was for the old Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy line (now BNSF)that ran from East Alton to Beardstown. It was abandoned sometime in the mid-1970's. You can still see traces of the old roadbed if you drive on Wood Station Road between Seiler Road and Harris Lane. There are still a number of the "pony" bridges still in place along the line, including one just south of where the line crossed Seiler Road between Wood Station Road and Seminary Road. The line basically followed the West Fork of Wood River Creek from East Alton up to Piasa.