Children's Museum Hiking Trail Bridge
South End, Looking North
Earthen fill severely eroded, exposing top of arch structure.
Photo taken by Wes Worsham in September 2012
BH Photo #241505
Closed-spandrel concrete arch located on eastern edge of Lake Decatur on pedestrian path north of Children's Museum. Bridge crosses creek connecting a small pond to the lake. It is possible that the path was once an elevated road in the flood plain of the Sangamon River before Lake Decatur was filled in the early 1920s.
- Closed-spandrel arch bridge over Unnamed creek on Hiking Trail
- Decatur, Macon County, Illinois
- Open to pedestrians only. Earthen fill is missing, but pathway crosses concrete arch.
- Closed-spandrel arch. One lane. Earthen fill has washed away, exposing top of concrete arch.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.82926, -88.91153 (decimal degrees)
39°49'45" N, 88°54'42" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/336421/4410555 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 53943 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- October 15, 2012: Updated by Wes Worsham: Added category "Concrete Arch"