UP - Rock River Bridge
Photo taken by Steve Conro in February 2012
BH Photo #226230
July 30,2019 crossing the Rock River at Nelson, Illinois
Union Pacific "Big Boy" crosses the Rock River westbound at Nelson, Ill.
Information provided by 1918 C&NW Railway Valuation Field Notes at the Chicago & North Western Railway Historical Society Archives.
- Two track lattice through truss bridge over Rock River on UPRR (Former C&NW) 1.5 mi W of Nelson
- Lee County, Illinois
- Open to traffic
- Built in 1889, reinforced in 1926
- - Lassig Bridge & Iron Works of Chicago, Illinois
- - Chicago & North Western Railway (CNW)
- Lattice through truss
Total length: 720.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.79273, -89.62318 (decimal degrees)
41°47'34" N, 89°37'23" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/282042/4630090 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Dixon West
- Inventory number
- BH 51483 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- July 31, 2019: Photos imported by Alexander D. Mitchell IV
- December 18, 2018: Updated by John Marvig: Added information from C&NW Bridge Records
- March 30, 2015: New photos from John Marvig
- February 3, 2013: Updated by Steve Conro: Build & reinforced dates
- January 11, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added builder.
- December 8, 2012: Photo imported by Luke Harden
- February 28, 2012: Updated by Steve Conro: Added categories "Chicago & North Western Railway", "Rock River"