Franklin Grove (Lincoln Highway) Recreational Trail Bridge
This bridge was relocated here from another location in the county. (Follow the link under "Sources" for more about this bridge.)
It is presumed that the pavement was a part of the original Lincoln Highway before it was relocated north of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway tracks, several yards to the left of the bridge, and the original bridge was removed.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in April 2011
BH Photo #199093
The original Lincoln Highway entered Franklin Grove at this location. The bridge is long gone but the abutments remain. It has been a dream of Franklin Grove Farming Heritage to add a bridge to this original alignment of the Lincoln Highway for use as a pedestrian/bicycle trail. This Pratt pony truss was relocated from Schlipp Road in 2006 for this purpose.
Franklin Grove is the location of the headquarters of the (modern) Lincoln Highway Association.
- Pratt pony truss bridge on Recreational Trail
- Franklin Grove, Lee County, Illinois
- Under construction
- Built 1915; Relocated from Schlipp Road in 2006
- Riveted, 5-panel Pratt pony truss
Length of largest span: 65.9 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Schlipp Road Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.83671, -89.31319 (decimal degrees)
41°50'12" N, 89°18'47" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/307932/4634233 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Franklin Grove
- Inventory number
- BH 48770 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- October 9, 2013: New Street View added by J.P.
- June 10, 2012: New photos from Bill Law
- February 28, 2012: New photos from Steve Conro
- May 15, 2011: Added by J.R. Manning
- J.R. Manning - thekitchenguy [at] sbcglobal [dot] net
- Schlipp Road Bridge - Photos of the bridge being removed from its original location.
- Steve Conro - sconro [at] yahoo [dot] com
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com