Vermilion River Bridge
Vermilion River @ Marquette/Lonestar quarry, look downstream
Bridge connected the Marquette Cement Co. quarries on the south side of the river with the plant on the north side. Rock trucks crossed bridge, drove thru a couple of tunnels thru the land on the other side to get to the plant itself. The river has a large horseshoe bend in it downstream of this structure so the river had to be crossed twice
BH Photo #332630
I found this stunning 8-panel Pratt through truss bridge while searching for the mystery bridge in LaSalle county. It appears to be abandoned but in decent shape. Bing maps has beautiful birds-eye images of this structure. I noticed that the sway bracing is curved on the top and is trussed, much like a bowstring truss. The members appear to be decently heavy, suggesting riveted connections. The portal height appears to indicate a road crossing. My guess is late teens to early twenties for construction date. If anyone knows anything about this bridge, please fill us in!
- Abandoned 8-panel Pratt through truss bridge over Vermilion River on private property just south of Oglesby
- LaSalle County, Illinois
- Abandoned, but intact
Length of largest span: 144.9 ft.
Total length: 173.5 ft.
Deck width: 15.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.27998, -89.04854 (decimal degrees)
41°16'48" N, 89°02'55" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/328440/4571861 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- La Salle
- Inventory number
- BH 48380 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 22, 2015: New photo from Gene Smania
- July 17, 2015: New photo from Gene Smania
- March 7, 2011: Added by Matthew Lohry