Big Vermillion River Bridge
Overview of Bridge
BH Photo #155385
This bridge was given as an example of a modern highway bridge in the 1920 edition of "The Design of Highway Bridges", by Milo Ketchum.
- Pennsylvania through truss bridge over Vermilion River near Oglesby
- LaSalle County, Illinois
- Lost, replaced with new bridge
- Built ca 1915, replaced 1960
- 224-foot, pin-connected 14-panel Pennsylvania through truss with four 45-foot through concrete girder approaches. All spans had an 18-foot wide concrete deck.
Length of largest span: 224.0 ft.
Deck width: 18.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.31329, -89.06646 (decimal degrees)
41°18'48" N, 89°03'59" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/327027/4575596 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- La Salle
- Inventory numer
- BH 44159 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- June 4, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added category "Concrete inset railing"
- March 27, 2013: New photos from Gene Smania
- March 27, 2013: New photos from Luke Harden
- January 27, 2012: Updated by Steve Conro: Added GPS of original location
- February 24, 2010: Updated by Wes Kinsler: added to mystery catagory
- February 17, 2010: Added by Wes Kinsler