4th Street Stone Arch
4th Street coal company RR tunnel
John Barron Column, 1975, The Daily News Tribune, La Salle, IL
BH Photo #443336
Height from trackbed to inside top of arch was +25'. From trackbed to top of outside headwall looks to have been about 30'
The small culvert opening visible on the left side of the south headwall carried the stream alongside of the RR tracks. It was sealed when the current culvert pipe was installed.
RR tracks were of a smaller height (size) than regular tracks. They were still there in 1976 before construction began.
- Buried stone arch bridge over Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad & Stream on 4th Street
- Peru, LaSalle County, Illinois
- Filled in
- Built ?; Filled in 1976
- Stone arch--+10'diameter corrugate steel plate pipe culvert laid in streambed, south embankment widened, structure filled in with dirt. Stone arch structure still exists but is buried in the embankment fill
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.32808, -89.11476 (decimal degrees)
41°19'41" N, 89°06'53" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/323025/4577335 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- La Salle
- Inventory number
- BH 79708 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- February 5, 2019: Updated by Luke: Marked as filled in
- February 5, 2019: Updated by GS: Added photos, newspaper article, repair plans
- December 12, 2017: Added by Luke