RI - I&M Canal Swing Bridge
Photo taken by Steve Conro in October 2011
BH Photo #218349
This bridge was built by the Manufactures Bridge Company in 1887. A local concern that charged $1.00 per rail car to cross the bridge. (from info sign at site)
- Pony Plate Girder Swing bridge over I&M Canal on abandoned railroad in Marseilles
- Marseilles, LaSalle County, Illinois
- Swing Bridge built in 1887 to move rail cars across I&M Canal
- - Manufactures Bridge Co.
- - Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad (CRIP (1866-1920); RI (1920-1975) ROCK (1975-1980))
- Pony Plate Girder swing bridge was operated by hand with a crank gear system in the center
Length of largest span: 65.0 ft.
Total length: 130.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.32853, -88.71184 (decimal degrees)
41°19'43" N, 88°42'43" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/356745/4576641 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 49890 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- July 13, 2015: New photos from John Marvig
- June 26, 2015: Updated by John Marvig: Added information
- August 9, 2012: Updated by Daniel Hopkins: Added category "Railroad"
- October 24, 2011: Added by Steve Conro