This structure was a Strauss Vertical Lift bridge, opened to traffic in 1929. It replaced a swing span structure that was built in 1872 and had a swing span. The operator's house was approximately 48 feet above the normal water level, not 200 as specified in the newspaper article elsewhere in this file. Attached is some information on both the 1929 bridge and the bridge that replaced it.
View attachment #1 (Zip archive data, at least v2.0 to extract, 12155 bytes)