Illinois Route1 & 17 over south channel of Kankakee River @ Momence
South bridge construction
Jim Wright, 2008 research
Written by Gene Smania
This photo is of the original concrete 'T' Beam construction of the bridge. It was rehabilitated in the mid 1980's and the original 'T' beam superstructure was replaced with a steel 'I' beam design.
- Steel stringer bridge over Kankakee River, south channel on Illinois Route 1 & 17
- Momence, Kankakee County, Illinois
- Open to traffic
- Built in1938 Rehabilitated 1986
- Steel stringer
Length of largest span: 62.0 ft.
Total length: 288.1 ft.
Deck width: 51.8 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.16004, -87.66272 (decimal degrees)
41°09'36" N, 87°39'46" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/444399/4556734 (zone/easting/northing)
- USGS topographic map
- Inventory numbers
IL 046-0023 (Illinois bridge number)
BH 51044 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 12/2011)
- Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 87.4 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2011)
- February 28, 2012: New photo from Gene Smania
- February 13, 2012: New photos from Gene Smania
- January 24, 2012: Essay added by Gene Smania