KBSR - Kankakee River Bridge
KB&S Hi-Rail in Aroma Park, IL
On April 1st, 2013 this hi-rail inspection truck was videoed going over the bridge in Aroma Park, IL.
Joshua Bauer (SantaFebuff)
Play video on YouTube
The railroad bridge was constructed in 1896 by and for the Cincinnati, Indianapolis, St. Louis and Chicago Railroad. (a.k.a. "The Big Four") This railroad was renamed the Cincinnati, Cleveland, Chicago and St. Louis Railroad. Later the railroad was bought out by the New York Central who held onto the bridge until the merger with the Pennsylvania railroad which lead the bridge under Penn Central ownership and Consolidated Rail Corp. ownership thereafter. Finally, the bridge and rail line was considered for abandonment until saved by a man who started the Kankakee, Beaverville, and Southern Railroad who currently owns this historic, 100 year old bridge.
- Steel deck plate bridge over Kankakee River & Birchwood Ln on Kankakee, Beaverville & Southern RR in Aroma Park
- Aroma Park, Kankakee County, Illinois
- Open to traffic
- Built 1917
- - Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis Railway (CCC&StL; Big 4)
- Kankakee, Beaverville & Southern Railroad (KBSR)
- New York Central Railroad (NYC)
- Deck plate girder with internal bracing and cross supports.
Length of largest span: 82.0 ft.
Total length: 634.9 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.07508, -87.80375 (decimal degrees)
41°04'30" N, 87°48'14" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/432479/4547403 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- IL 046-6050 (Illinois bridge number)
BH 50083 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- February 1, 2015: Updated by John Marvig: Corrected Build Date
- December 1, 2013: New video from Joshua Bauer
- July 8, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "New York Central Railroad", "Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis Railway", "Kankakee, Beaverville & Southern Railroad"
- July 8, 2013: Updated by Joshua Bauer: Added Build Date, Expanded Description, Design Description
- November 9, 2011: New Street View added by Daniel Hopkins
- November 8, 2011: Added by Steve Conro