BNSF Mendota Subdivision Bridge
Looking West through the 60' BNSF Mendota subdivision bridge. The Aurora Subdivision tunnel is beyond and the Lake St tunnel beyond that
Photo taken by Steve Conro in January 2012
BH Photo #224085
Listed together as they are only a couple hundred feet apart and are basically the same. The BNSF Railroad splits into the Aurora and Mendota subdivisions about 1000' northeast of here. The former Elgin, Joliet & Eastern Railroad (now a bike trail) used to cross under each branch. The larger (60') Mendota branch to the east and the skewed (40') Aurora branch to the west. There was then a bridge farther west at Lake St but its been filled in now for the bike trail. The EJ&E abandoned this line in the late 1970's.
- Bridge over Virgil Gilman Nature Trail (former EJ&E RR) on BNSF RR's
- Aurora, Kane County, Illinois
- Open to traffic
- Also called
- Virgil Gilman Trail "Tunnel"
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.74656, -88.33187 (decimal degrees)
41°44'48" N, 88°19'55" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/389259/4622494 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Aurora South
- Inventory number
- BH 51127 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- January 31, 2012: Updated by Daniel Hopkins: Added category "Railroad"
- January 30, 2012: Added by Steve Conro