UP - Chicago Street Overpass
Photo taken by Steve Conro in October 2011
BH Photo #218902
Very interesting old bridge. Site next to bridge of the old Elgin Station, which we learned in grade school was a frequent stop for President/General Ulysses S Grant en-route to his home in Galena, IL.
Cut out in South abutment where old stairs lead up to station.
Length Approximated. Build date provided by C&NW bridge records at the Chicago & North Western Railway Historical Society archives
- Through plate girder bridge over Chicago Street in Elgin on Union Pacific Railroad
- Elgin, Kane County, Illinois
- Open to traffic
- Built 1907
- - Chicago & North Western Railway (CNW)
- Union Pacific Railroad (UP)
- Pony plate girder
Length of largest span: 40.0 ft.
Total length: 70.0 ft.
- Also called
- C&NW - Chicago Street Overpass
C&NW Bridge #337
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.03605, -88.28821 (decimal degrees)
42°02'10" N, 88°17'18" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/393372/4654581 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 49948 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- March 23, 2019: Updated by John Marvig: Added information from C&NW Bridge Records
- July 16, 2018: New photos from John Marvig
- July 17, 2014: New Street View added by Ralph Demars
- October 18, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Addded categories
- October 29, 2011: Added by Steve Conro