New York Street Memorial Bridge
Photo taken by Steve Conro in January 2012
BH Photo #222819
The New York Street Memorial Bridge was designed as a memorial to World War I veterans. The bridge is far more than a typical memorial bridge where a simple memorial plaque is placed on the bridge. Instead, the bridge displays a truly beautiful design where the bridge itself is the memorial. At each end of the bridge, a concrete statue titled "Memory" rises up above the railings at the westernmost and easternmost pier points. The design is such that the pier and railings all flow together to form the base of the statue. Bronze plaques can be found at the base of these statues as well. At the center of the bridge there are two outlooks with additional memorials. On the north side, there is another statue, this one made of bronze, titled "Victory" which sits on a concrete pedestal. On the south side, is a plaque flanked by two eagle statuettes.
It's become hard to tell that its one bridge with the casino in the middle. The parking garage sits on Stolp Island and has the center outlook built into its entrance. While the casino entrance with the center memorial outlook is on the tip of Stolp Island, the casino is actually in the river.
- Bridge over Fox River on New York Street in Aurora
- Aurora, Kane County, Illinois
- Open to traffic
- Built 1931; rehabilitated 1992
- Concrete Open Spandrel Deck Arch with metal stringer approaches
Length of largest span: 67.6 ft.
Total length: 670.0 ft.
Deck width: 45.9 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.75901, -88.31373 (decimal degrees)
41°45'32" N, 88°18'49" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/390788/4623853 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Aurora North
- Average daily traffic (as of 2018)
- Inventory numbers
- IL 045-0012 (Illinois bridge number)
BH 49940 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of May 2018)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 61.2 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- November 22, 2018: New photos from Melissa Brand-Welch
- January 17, 2017: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- January 5, 2012: New photos from Steve Conro
- October 27, 2011: Added by Steve Conro