Sugar Creek Chapel Bridge
Photo taken July 2006 by Tom Hall
BH Photo #102210
This bridge shares it's heritage with the nearby Dunn's Bridge in Indiana. Both were built ca.1895 by P.E. Lane's Bridge & Iron Works in Chicago. The materials were apparently acquired from a salvage company and were originally from the 1892 Chicago World's Fair. Dunn's Bridge was long thought to have been a part of the Ferris Wheel, but it and this bridge were likely fabricated from roof trusses.
- Steel through arch bridge over Sugar Creek on 900N Road (CH 9), 3.25 mi. east of Milford
- Iroquois County, Illinois
- Closed to traffic in December 2012.
- Built in 1895 by P.E. Lane using parts salvaged from the 1892 Chicago Worlds Fair
- - Lane Bridge & Iron Works
- P.E. Lane of Chicago, Illinois
- Steel through arch
Length of largest span: 159.0 ft.
Total length: 163.0 ft.
Deck width: 17.3 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 13.6 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.62605, -87.63642 (decimal degrees)
40°37'34" N, 87°38'11" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/446174/4497441 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2013)
- Inventory numbers
- IL 038-5500 (Illinois bridge number)
BH 15334 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of December 2016)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Imminent Failure (1 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 28.1 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- December 23, 2020: New photos from Steve Conro
- December 13, 2012: Updated by Tony Dillon: Updated status per forum post
- November 15, 2011: Updated by Steve Conro: added relationship info
- July 29, 2011: Updated by Tony Dillon: Updated information.
- January 2, 2010: New photos from Tom Hall
- October 2, 2006: Posted photos from Tom Hall