La Harpe Creek Bridge
Photo taken by Steve Conro in September 2012
BH Photo #239194
Its obviously been restored but you can see the trusses are twisted as you approach the bridge. Flood waters must have been amazing. Bridge is quite high above the water.
On September 27, 2012, the bridge was destroyed when an overweight concrete truck tried to drive over it. The bridge collapsed due to the weight of the concrete truck.
- Lost pony truss bridge over La Harpe Creek on E CR1950, 2.5 mi. west of Fountain Green
- Hancock County, Illinois
- Collapsed by an overweight truck.
- Built 1901; Collapsed September 27, 2012
- Pinned Pratt pony truss
Length of largest span: 64.0 ft.
Total length: 64.9 ft.
Deck width: 12.1 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.48028, -91.02056 (decimal degrees)
40°28'49" N, 91°01'14" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/667780/4482947 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Carthage East
- Inventory numbers
- IL 034-4218 (Illinois bridge number)
BH 15273 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 03/2011)
- Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 18.9 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2008)
- October 12, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Bridge is lost
- September 11, 2012: Updated by Steve Conro: Change status and added photos
- April 17, 2012: Updated by Tony Dillon: Updated status
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Steve Conro - sconro [at] yahoo [dot] com
- rob wagner - robwagner2002 [at] yahoo [dot] com