This was the first steel tied through arch built in Illinois. It was built for a new bypass routing of US 66 around Joliet. In 1957, US 66 was rerouted again, onto a new alignment to the west that would eventually become I-55, and this route was made IL 129, carrying only light local traffic. A 1994 inspection showed that the bridge had been allowed to deteriorate so badly that it was closed to traffic. After attempts to sell it failed, it was demolished in 2000.
- Lost steel tied through arch bridge over Union Pacific Rr, former Alton Railroad on IL 129, former US 66, between Braceville and Gardner.
- Braceville, Grundy County, Illinois
- Removed but not replaced
- Buiilt 1939, US 66 rerouted off it 1957, allowed to deteriorate, demolished 2000
- - Joliet Bridge & Iron Co. of Joliet, Illinois
- Steel tied through arch, had to be a long bridge due to huge skew in relation to the RR tracks it crossed.
Length of largest span: 252.5 ft.
Total length: 1,095.5 ft.
Deck width: 26.0 ft.
- Skew angle
- 74 degrees
- Also called
- Gardner-Mazonia Bridge
Alton Railroad Viaduct
Alton Railroad Overhead Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.20758, -88.28395 (decimal degrees)
41°12'27" N, 88°17'02" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/392355/4562595 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- IL 032-0062 (Illinois bridge number)
BH 36915 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 10/1991)
- Deck condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 10.9 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 1991)
- March 4, 2016: New photos from GS
- December 15, 2012: Updated by Roger Deschner: Correct location and which highway it was on (IL 129, not IL 53), add Description.
- January 28, 2012: New photo from Gene Smania
- July 23, 2008: Added by Kim Harvey
- Kim Harvey
- HAER IL-141 - Braceville Bridge, Spanning Southern Pacific Railroad tracks at State Route 129 (Old Route 66), Braceville vicinity, Grundy County, IL
- Roger Deschner - rogerdeschner [at] gmail [dot] com