I&M Canal "Five Mile" Bridge
Five Mile Bridge
Uploaded by Steve Conro/internet photo
BH Photo #217389
Replaced old Pratt Truss bridge. Name comes from being located Five miles from the Morris city limits.
Although this isn't an old or historical bridge. Its old wooden deck look old. Because the I&M Canal is now has National Historical status all structures when built or restored have to look like something would have in that period.
- All Wood Closed-spandrel arch bridge over I&M Canal on Old Stage Rd
- Grundy County, Illinois
- Open to traffic
- Built 1995
- - Belvidere Construction of Belvidere, Illinois
- Graef, Anhalt, Schloemer & Associates of Chicago, Illinois (Designer)
- Very unique Wood Glu-Lam design meant to compliment the rustic I&M canal corridor history. Award winning design by Graef, Anhalt, Schloemer & Assoc. Chicago, Illinois
Length of largest span: 126.6 ft.
Total length: 130.3 ft.
Deck width: 25.9 ft.
- Also called
- Old Stage Rd Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.33920, -88.51877 (decimal degrees)
41°20'21" N, 88°31'08" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/372924/4577525 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2016)
- Inventory numbers
- IL 032-4096 (Illinois bridge number)
BH 49811 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of October 2018)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 70.4 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- December 10, 2011: Updated by Steve Conro: added a couple photos and updated status to reopened
- October 16, 2011: New photos from James McCray
- October 16, 2011: Updated by J.P.: Bridge is closed due to road damage from flooding.
- October 15, 2011: Added by Steve Conro
- Steve Conro - sconro [at] yahoo [dot] com
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
- James McCray - jamesinslocomb [at] yahoo [dot] com