EJ&E - Illinois River Bridge
Old EJ&E Bridge 552 near Dresden
EJ&E refers to this area as Divine
Eric Berg photo/uploaded by Steve Conro
BH Photo #219715
Built in 1895 by the EJ&E railroad which was bought out by the CN in 2008.
The EJ&E bridge has the distinction of being the most accident-prone bridge in the United States. It was struck by navigation traffic 170 times between 1992 and 2001. The problem is that the lift span is very narrow, allowing for 120 feet of clearance. The dam just upstream creates a fast current. A tow that is 3 barges wide just barely fits through the bridge.
This bridge is currently being replaced (11/07/11) with a wider span for safer navigation. A very accommodating construction site gate guard let us sneak in and get few pics. Will update with better pics once the site clears.
- Warren through truss bridge with center lift span over Illinois River on EJ&E RW
- Devine/Morris, Grundy County, Illinois
- Open, original 1895 bridge replaced in 2011
- 4 span through truss Vertical lift bridge
- - Edgemoor Bridge Works of Wilmington, Delaware (original bridge)
- - Canadian National Railway (CN)
- Elgin, Joliet & Eastern Railway (EJE)
- Warren through truss
Total length: 800.0 ft.
- Also called
- EJ&E Illinois River Bridge
EJ&E Bridge 552
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.39516, -88.29736 (decimal degrees)
41°23'43" N, 88°17'50" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/391543/4583437 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Land survey
- T. 34 N., R. 8 E., Sec. 27
- Inventory number
- BH 41929 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- November 29, 2016: New photo from Douglas Butler
- November 6, 2011: Updated by Steve Conro: added photos and some history. Bridge replaced.
- March 29, 2009: Added by Kim Harvey