Heitz Road Overpass
The steel pony truss is clearly visible in the timber railing.
Photo taken by Fmiser
License: Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike (CC BY-SA)
BH Photo #286530
At first glance, this looks like a typical timber stringer trestle hump-back bridge over the railroad - but the center span is actually a steel pony truss standing on steel bents made from rails. Timber stringers, timber deck, timber railing, timber bents for the approach spans. However, the main span and it's bents are steel.
- Steel pony truss span in a timber trestle bridge over the BNSF Railroad on E Heitz Rd
- Fulton County, Illinois
- Open to traffic
- Built ca. 1930
- Steel pony truss on steel bents as the main span in a timber stringer trestle.
Length of largest span: 34.1 ft.
Total length: 122.0 ft.
Deck width: 15.1 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.30962, -90.42370 (decimal degrees)
40°18'35" N, 90°25'25" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/718928/4465308 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Land survey
- T. 4 N., R. 1 E., Sec. 20
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- Inventory numbers
- IL 029-9909 (Illinois bridge number)
BH 15249 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of February 2017)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 31.8 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- June 10, 2015: Updated by Royce and Bobette Haley: refined design-to do list
- July 12, 2014: New photos from Fmiser
- June 27, 2014: Updated by Fmiser: corrected spelling
- June 25, 2014: Updated by Fmiser: Expanded description
- November 28, 2013: New Street View added by Brent Tindall
- Flickr - Image
- Brent Tindall - bizzat219 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Fmiser - fmiser [at] gmail [dot] com
- Royce and Bobette Haley - roycehaley111 [at] yahoo [dot] com