Illinois Prairie Path - Volunteer Bridge
Looking southeast; note pedestrian bridge as rebuilt in 2010 is not level with original bridge deck.
Photo taken by Frank Hicks in February 2011
BH Photo #194169
Built 1907 to carry the Elgin Branch of the Chicago Aurora & Elgin RR over the Chicago & North Western RR. The CA&E RR folded in 1957, and the was bridge converted to pedestrian use ca. 1965. Bridge approaches were rebuilt in 2010. Named Volunteer Bridge by the Illinois Prairie Path. There is some disagreement about its construction date; "Sunset Lines Vol. I" by Larry Plachno lists its construction date as 1909 but the IPP celebrated the bridge's 100th anniversary in 2007.
- Pratt through truss bridge over Union Pacific RR (formerly Chicago & North Western RR) on Illinois Prairie Path (formerly Chicago Aurora & Elgin RR)
- Wheaton, Du Page County, Illinois
- Open to pedestrians
- Built 1907 for CA&E RR, railroad abandoned 1959, converted to trail use ca. 1964, approaches rebuilt 2010
- - Aurora, Elgin & Chicago Railway (AE&C)
- Chicago & North Western Railway (CNW)
- Chicago, Aurora & Elgin Railroad (CA&E)
- Pratt through skew truss, approach at north end constructed 2010.
Length of largest span: 160.0 ft.
Total length: 1,544.0 ft.
- Also called
- CA&E - Wheaton Bridge
CA&E - Volunteer Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.86524, -88.11659 (decimal degrees)
41°51'55" N, 88°06'60" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/407331/4635417 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 48239 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 18, 2015: New photos from John Marvig
- August 8, 2014: Updated by Luke: Added original approach type, added link to image
- October 8, 2013: New Street View added by J.P.
- November 11, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Chicago, Aurora & Elgin Railroad", "Interurban"
- August 14, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added category "Railroad"
- December 15, 2011: Updated by Frank Hicks: Added categories "Rail-to-trail", "Skewed"
- February 24, 2011: Added by Frank Hicks