Division Street Bridge (new)
Photo taken by Roger Deschner in December 2014
License: Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike (CC BY-SA)
BH Photo #309844
Semi-permanent Bailey pony truss bridge, manufactured by Acrow, with cantilevered sidewalks. Though many Bailey bridges are temporary, the City of Chicago bought this one, instead of renting it as is typically done. The approach sidewalks are concrete. It will probably be here for a while, especially since it was built in line with Division Street, instead of on a runaround as was initially planned, and as they did at North Avenue.
Regardless of the loss of the previous 111 year old historic bridge, this new bridge has its interesting points. It's definitely not a UCEB, or a trendy arch like on nearby Halsted Street. It has a relatively long clear span for a Bailey Bridge, so it has triple trusses, double-high, making it a very strong bridge. The large number of Bailey trusses sandwiched together do present interesting photographic angles.
- Bailey pony truss bridge over Chicago River North Branch Canal on West Division Street
- Chicago, Cook County, Illinois
- Open to traffic
- Future prospects
- May only be temporary
- Ordered from a catalog and assembled; opened September 30, 2014.
- - Acrow Corporation of America of Parsippany, New Jersey
- Two-story Acrow Bailey-type pony truss with cantilevered sidewalks on both sides.
Length of largest span: 261.0 ft.
Total length: 149.0 ft.
Deck width: 36.0 ft.
- Also called
- East Division Street Bridge
Division Street Canal Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.90362, -87.64972 (decimal degrees)
41°54'13" N, 87°38'59" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/446110/4639279 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Chicago Loop
- Inventory number
- BH 64796 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- November 2, 2016: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- January 17, 2016: New photos from Royce and Bobette Haley
- June 24, 2015: Updated by Roger Deschner: Added manufacturer - Acrow
- December 17, 2014: New Street View added by Roger Deschner
- December 16, 2014: Added by Roger Deschner
- Royce and Bobette Haley - roycehaley111 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Roger Deschner - rogerdeschner [at] gmail [dot] com
- Dana and Kay Klein