Western Avenue Overpass
West face, looking southeast
Note the smooth underside of this box-girder structure, which prevents pigeons from roosting.
Photo taken by Roger Deschner in May 2014
License: Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike (CC BY-SA)
BH Photo #348700
Doomed 11-span prestressed concrete box girder overpass carrying four very narrow lanes of Western Avenue over 5-way intersection with Belmont Avenue and Clybourn Avenue. One of a number of overpasses built by Chicago in the 1960s which are being demolished as they deteriorate.
- Concrete overpass carrying Western Avenue over Belmont Avenue and Clybourn Avenue
- Chicago, Cook County, Illinois
- Demolished March 5-7, 2016
- Built 1961; closed March 1, 2016; demolition began March 5, 2016, Completed March 7, 2016
- Prestressed concrete deck box girder
Length of largest span: 100.1 ft.
Total length: 1,102.1 ft.
Deck width: 42.0 ft.
- Also called
- Riverview Overpass
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.93944, -87.68811 (decimal degrees)
41°56'22" N, 87°41'17" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/442958/4643281 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Chicago Loop
- Inventory numbers
- NBI 000016613404042
IL 016-6134 (Illinois bridge number)
BH 56321 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- March 7, 2016: Updated by Nathan Holth: Demolition complete.
- March 2, 2016: Updated by Roger Deschner: Bridge now closed; demolition to begin immediately
- February 8, 2016: New photo from Roger Deschner
- May 23, 2013: Added by Roger Deschner