CN - Hawthorne/Central Avenue Overpass
Photo taken by Steve Conro in March 2012
BH Photo #228133
This single track bridge may be a second generation at this location. All the others along this stretch are 2 track with one abandoned. Abutment looks like it originally held 2 bridges.
Since the CN purchased the EJ&E to bypass Chicago this line isn't used much any more.
- Pony/through plate girder bridge over Central Ave/UPRR/Hawthorne Ave on Canadian National RR (former Soo Line RR)
- River Forest, Cook County, Illinois
- Open to traffic
- - Canadian National Railway (CN)
- Soo Line Railroad (SOO)
- Union Pacific Railroad (UP)
- Pony plate girder
Length of largest span: 100.0 ft.
Total length: 200.0 ft.
- Also called
- CN/UP Overpass
Soo Line/UP Overpass
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.88674, -87.82066 (decimal degrees)
41°53'12" N, 87°49'14" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/431914/4637526 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- River Forest
- Inventory number
- BH 51780 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- March 26, 2012: Updated by Daniel Hopkins: Added category "Railroad"
- March 21, 2012: Updated by Steve Conro: Added categories "Canadian Pacific Railway", "Soo Line Railroad"