"Eight Track" Bascule Bridge
Photo taken by Steve Conro in September 2012
BH Photo #240405
The design and history of these four parallel, double-track, double-leaf bridges is the most unusual of the bridges built in the Heritage Corridor.
-- Historic American Engineering Record
The Main Drainage Channel of the Sanitary District of Chicago is crossed by 3 railroads. The Pittsburg, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis; Chicago Terminal Transfer and the Chicago Junction Railways. The first having the western four tracks and the others having the next two each easterly tracks. Making a total of eight tracks crossing the channel. From this is derived the name of the structure.
--Journal of the Western Society of Engineers--
Two western spans no longer in use.
- Warren through truss with all verticals bridge over Sanitary & Ship Canal on Chicago & Northern Pacific
- Chicago, Cook County, Illinois
- Open to traffic
- Built 1909
- - Chicago Bridge & Iron Co. of Chicago, Illinois
- Scherzer Rolling Lift Bridge Co. of Chicago, Illinois
- - Baltimore & Ohio Chicago Terminal Railroad (B&OCT; BOCT)
- CSX Railroad (CSX)
- Canadian National Railway (CN)
- Chicago & Northern Pacific Railroad (C&NP)
- Chicago Junction Railway (CJR)
- Chicago Terminal Transfer Railroad (CTT)
- Norfolk Southern Railway (NS)
- Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago, & St. Louis Railroad (PCC&StL)
- Warren through truss with all verticals.
Four Separate two track lift bridges. The western two are no longer in use.
- Also called
- Scissor Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.83670, -87.68725 (decimal degrees)
41°50'12" N, 87°41'14" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/442937/4631873 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 50842 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- November 26, 2018: New photo from Douglas Butler
- May 19, 2017: New photo from Douglas Butler
- August 30, 2013: New photo from Douglas Butler
- July 16, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Canadian National Railway", "CSX Railroad", "Norfolk Southern Railway"
- September 30, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago, & St. Louis Railroad", "Chicago Junction Railway", "Chicago Terminal Transfer Railroad"
- September 29, 2012: Updated by Steve Conro: Removed category "Pennsylvania Railroad"
- January 6, 2012: Updated by J.P.: Added categories "Navigable waterway", "Pennsylvania Railroad", "chicago and northern pacific railroad"
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
- HAER IL-99 - Pennsylvania Railroad, "Eight-track" Bascule Bridge, Spanning Sanitary & Ship Canal, west of Western Avenue, Chicago, Cook County, IL
- Historicbridges.org - by Nathan Holth
- Steve Conro - sconro [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Douglas Butler