CN - Chicago Sanitary & Ship Canal Bridge
This bridge crossing the Sanitary and Ship Canal was originally built for the Chicago, Madison & Northern Railroad Bridge. When it was completed in 1900 it contained the longest swing span of the several swing bridges erected across the canal.
-- Historic American Engineering Record
- Pratt through truss bridge over Sanitary & Ship Canal on CNRR (original Chicago, Madison & Northern Railroad)
- Cicero, Cook County, Illinois
- Open to traffic
- Built 1899
- - Toledo Bridge Co. of Toledo, Ohio
- - Canadian National Railway (CN)
- Chicago, Madison & Northern Railroad (CM&N)
- Illinois Central Railroad (IC; ICG (1972-1988))
- Pratt through truss
Span length: 479.0 ft.
Total length: 479.0 ft.
- Also called
- CM&N - Chicago Sanitary & Ship Canal Bridge
IC - Chicago Sanitary & Ship Canal Bridge
Illinois Central Swing Bridge #2 (Chicago Landmarks Name)
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.83225, -87.70223 (decimal degrees)
41°49'56" N, 87°42'08" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/441690/4631389 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 50836 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- July 18, 2018: New photos from John Marvig
- October 8, 2013: New Street View added by J.P.
- January 12, 2012: Updated by Frank Hicks: Corrected GPS coordinates
- January 6, 2012: Updated by J.P.: Added categories "Navigable waterway", "HAER documented", "Pin-connected", "Chicago Madison And Northern Railroad", "Illinois Central & Gulf"
- Frank Hicks
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
- HAER IL-113 - Chicago, Madison & Northern Railroad, Sanitary & Ship Canal Bridge, Spanning Sanitary & Ship Canal, east of Kedzie Avenue, Chicago, Cook County, IL
- Historicbridges.org - by Nathan Holth
- Steve Conro - sconro [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Douglas Butler
- John Marvig - marvigj27 [at] gmail [dot] com