Aulwurm Drive Bridge
View across bridge from north
Photo taken by Roger Deschner in August 2013
License: Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike (CC BY-SA)
Four span Warren pony truss bridge, has distinctive rolled top chord, now bent out of shape. Closed to traffic some time ago, abandoned, and ravaged by thieves stealing metal members of the bridge itself, the southernmost span has collapsed. It is remarkable the rest of it has not collapsed yet, which would appear to be an imminent possibility.
- Abandoned warren pony truss bridge over Little Calumet River on Aulwurm Drive
- Blue Island, Cook County, Illinois
- Future prospects
- Rehabilitation for fishing, bicycle, and pedestrian use proposed in "Blue Island Active Transportation Plan". However, this derelict structure may collapse under its own weight or the weight of fallen snow before that plan can be funded.
- Warren pony truss with alternating verticals
- Also called
- Blue Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.64956, -87.66795 (decimal degrees)
41°38'58" N, 87°40'05" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/444379/4611083 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Blue Island
- Inventory number
- BH 57456 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 4, 2013: Updated by Roger Deschner: Added category "Painted blue"