Chatham Street Bridge
Photo taken by Steve Conro in September 2012
BH Photo #240191
One of a pair of nearly identical bridges over the Cal Sag Channel in Blue Island. The other is at Division Street, and was in about the same bad condition prior to their rehab.
Rehabilitation of this bridge for pedestrian and bicycle use as part of the Cal-Sag Trail is complete. It also serves pedestrian traffic from the south side of the Cal-Sag to the Metra commuter train stations on the north side of the Cal-Sag.
It needed repairs badly - It was closed to traffic but left open to pedestrians after the 2010 inspection rated it "Imminent Failure", but then in 2015 it was also closed to pedestrians. It appears that between 1964 when it was built, and 2016 when rehabilitation started, it had received no maintenance at all, not even painting.
The 2016 rehabilitation replaced and narrowed the deck, and rehabbed the steel superstructure. The narrower deck has exposed the bottom chord and its complex connections to easy view. This is not always possible on steel truss bridges, making this a very accessible bridge for one wanting to study what holds steel truss bridges together.
- Polygonal Warren through truss bridge over Cal Sag Channel on Chatham Street in Blue Island
- Blue Island, Cook County, Illinois
- Open to pedestrians, bicycles, and emergency vehicles
- Future prospects
- Rehabilitation for pedestrian use completed
- Built 1964; closed 2010; reopened to pedestrians March 20, 2017
- Through truss
Length of largest span: 303.7 ft.
Total length: 384.7 ft.
Deck width: 29.8 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 16.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.65249, -87.67546 (decimal degrees)
41°39'09" N, 87°40'32" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/443756/4611414 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Blue Island
- Inventory numbers
- IL 016-6620 (Illinois bridge number)
BH 15109 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 10/2012)
- Deck condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Imminent Failure (1 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 32.6 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- March 27, 2017: Updated by Roger Deschner: Rehab complete, bridge reopened. Added photos, updated description.
- September 13, 2016: Updated by Roger Deschner: Rehabilitation underway
- November 7, 2015: New photo from Roger Deschner
- March 17, 2013: Updated by Roger Deschner: Bridge is still open to pedestrians. Add description.
- September 26, 2012: New photos from Steve Conro
- November 22, 2011: Updated by Frank Hicks: Bridge is closed to traffic; refined design description
- November 29, 2010: Updated by David Backlin: Corrected GPS