Jackson Park Lagoon Bridge
Vew from northwest
Photo taken by Roger Deschner in February 2017
License: Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike (CC BY-SA)
1895 bridge continues to carry heavy traffic today on Lake Shore Drive (US 41) and the Lakefront Trail. Originally built just after World's Columbian Exposition, still retains many original or reproduced decorative elements patterned after those at the exposition - lampposts, balustrade railings, and pedestals that once supported elk sculptures.
Boat traffic under the bridge, to and from the 59th Street Harbor, is controlled by a traffic signal.
Major 1995 rebuild made structural repairs, and re-created some decorative elements. 2004 rehab added a north approach span over a new pedestrian path, and reduced roadway width from 6 lanes to 5 - 3 northbound and 2 southbound, with a new concrete median.
- Stringer bridge over Jackson Park Lagoon on S. Lake Shore Drive (US 41) and Lakefront Trail in Chicago
- Chicago, Cook County, Illinois
- Open to traffic
- Built 1895; rehabilitated 1995; north approach span added 2004
- - Charles L. Strobel
- Daniel H. Burnham
- Steel stringer main span over waterway, with closed-spandrel concrete arch north approach span over pedestrian path
Length of largest span: 44.9 ft.
Total length: 45.9 ft.
Deck width: 60.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Jackson Park Fifth-ninth Street Bridge
North Inlet Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.78833, -87.57750 (decimal degrees)
41°47'18" N, 87°34'39" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/452014/4626436 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Jackson Park
- Inventory numbers
- IL 016-6195 (Illinois bridge number)
BH 15136 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 08/2015)
- Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Appraisal: Functionally obsolete
Sufficiency rating: 81.0 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- February 18, 2017: Updated by Roger Deschner: Add description, photos, correct build date per HAER
- February 16, 2017: New Street View added by Roger Deschner