Division Street Bridge
Photo taken by Steve Conro in September 2012
BH Photo #240185
One of a pair of nearly identical bridges over the Cal Sag Channel in Blue Island. The other is at Chatham Street, and was in about the same bad condition prior to rehabilitation.
This bridge underwent major repair and rehabilitation, and reopened on August 4, 2016. It needed repairs badly - the 2010 inspection rated it "Imminent Failure", and it had been closed since 2010. It appears that between 1964 when it was built, and 2015 when rehabilitation started, it had received no maintenance at all, not even painting. Furthermore, it had a design flaw where rainwater (or salty snowmelt) from the deck drained directly onto the support members, hastening corrosion.
- Through truss bridge over Cal Sag Channel on Division Street in Blue island
- Blue Island, Cook County, Illinois
- Reopened after rehabilitation
- Built 1964; closed 2010; reopened August 4, 2016
- Polygonal Warren through truss with all verticals
Length of largest span: 289.6 ft.
Total length: 371.0 ft.
Deck width: 29.8 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 16.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.65280, -87.67017 (decimal degrees)
41°39'10" N, 87°40'13" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/444197/4611444 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Blue Island
- Average daily traffic (as of 2014)
- Inventory numbers
- IL 016-5005 (Illinois bridge number)
BH 15120 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of September 2015)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Imminent Failure (1 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 32.7 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- March 27, 2017: New photos from Roger Deschner
- September 13, 2016: Updated by Roger Deschner: Rehab complete; bridge reopened
- December 14, 2015: Updated by Roger Deschner: Bridge saved! Currently under rehabilitation.
- November 7, 2015: New photos from Roger Deschner
- October 8, 2013: New Street View added by J.P.
- March 17, 2013: Updated by Roger Deschner: Bridge had been closed
- February 5, 2012: Updated by Steve Conro: Adjusted GPS