PRR - Little Embarras River Bridge
Viewed from the South
Photo taken by Hank Knuth
BH Photo #310051
The trestle is approximately 30' high x 300' long consisting of 22 spans.
RR was formerly Terre Haute & Peoria R.R. operated by Vandalia Railroad Co.
Purchased May 15, 1997 by H. A. Knuth, Paris, IL
Purchase included 1670' of R.O.W.
Intended use: Walking path and wildlife refuge
- Abandoned timber stringer bridge over Little Embarras River
- Coles County, Illinois
- Appears the supporting structure is sound, but many of the cross ties are rotted.
- Future prospects
- Contact Hank.email@example.com
- Believed to be originally built in 1916. (unconfirmed)
- - Penn Central Railroad (PC)
- Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR)
- Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago, & St. Louis Railroad (PCC&StL)
- Wood trestle , 22 span
Total length: 300.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.65431, -87.98435 (decimal degrees)
39°39'16" N, 87°59'04" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/415553/4389853 (zone/easting/northing)
- Land survey
- T. 14N., R. 14W., Sec. 16
- Inventory number
- BH 64979 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- November 28, 2016: New photos from David Huffman
- December 23, 2014: Updated by Hank Knuth: corrected title and length