New Savanna-Sabula Bridge
Photo taken by John Imel in October 2017
BH Photo #405775
New bridge replaced historic Savanna-Sabula Bridge.
However, on February 27 2018, the US52 Running Slough Bridge on the Iowa side was suddenly closed when one of its piers was washed out by Mississippi River floodwaters, and it sagged. This closed the only Iowa access to the main bridge. Currently the road is barricaded at the Illinois abutment of the main bridge, and in Sabula at the US52 Running Slough Bridge. This forces a 36-mile detour, and it has also been replaced by temporary ferry and bus services.
Local sources say that the US52 Running Slough Bridge is proving troublesome to replace, due to unstable soils and new river flooding. Therefore there is no prediction as to when the Mississippi River crossing between Savanna and Sabula can reopen.
The new Running Slough Bridge was completed and both spans reopened the first week of September 2018, and the ferry service discontinued.
- Steel network tied-arch bridge over Mississippi River on US-52/IA-64/IL-64
- Savanna, Carroll County, Illinois, and Jackson County, Iowa
- Future prospects
- Reopened Sept. 2018 when connecting US52 Running Slough Bridge was completed.
- Built 2016-2018 to replace original Savanna-Sabula Bridge built in 1932; closed February 2018 with loss of adjacent US52 Running Slough Bridge; reopened Sept. 2018
- - Bumpy's Steel Erection of East St. Louis, Illinois
- Edward Kraemer & Sons, Inc. of Plain, Wisconsin
- Steel network tied arch bridge
- Also called
- Dale Gardner Veterans Memorial Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.10415, -90.15954 (decimal degrees)
42°06'15" N, 90°09'34" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/734865/4665244 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 75038 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- February 23, 2020: New photos from Steve Conro
- October 2, 2018: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Bridge reopened to traffic
- July 11, 2018: Updated by Roger Deschner: Bridge is closed due to loss of a bridge on only access road
- February 24, 2018: Updated by Amanda: Various updates
- October 12, 2017: New photos from John Imel
- September 13, 2017: New photos from John Imel
- July 17, 2017: Updated by Luke: Re-named to common name; Added official name to alt names section
- July 16, 2017: New photo from John Imel
- July 6, 2017: New photos from John Imel
- January 3, 2017: Added by John Imel
- Roger Deschner - rogerdeschner [at] gmail [dot] com
- Alexander D. Mitchell IV
- Steve Conro - sconro [at] yahoo [dot] com