Photo taken by Steve Conro in December 2011
BH Photo #222106
I discovered this bridge hidden in the trees near a parking lot at Hennepin Canal Lock 17 Day use area. Its a few hundred feet from Bridge 9 and the same basic type. Its been separated and the two halves placed back to back with the deck intact.
I don't know where it would have come from but a likely suspect might be the original West Bureau Creek Bridge (BH15042) that's only about a mile away. The only evidence against this is at around 70' it might be too short (but if it weren't skewed) and that some of trees growing through it look older than 10 years. That bridge was replaced in 2002. Any other thoughts?
- Abandoned through truss bridge at Hennepin Canal Lock 17 day use area near Wyanet
- Bureau County, Illinois
- Pratt pony truss
Total length: 70.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.34632, -89.55886 (decimal degrees)
41°20'47" N, 89°33'32" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/285917/4580362 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numer
- BH 50611 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- February 7, 2012: Updated by Steve Conro: Added category "mystery"
- December 19, 2011: Updated by J.P.: Added category "Riveted"
- December 19, 2011: Added by Steve Conro