Hennepin Canal Lock 2 Roller Bridge
Bridge rolled to the left into a pocket which has been filled in for the bike trail.
Photo taken by Steve Conro in January 2012
BH Photo #224173
Roller bridge that retracted into a pocket to allow barge traffic to pass beneath. It has since been fixed in place, the pocket covered over and rails added for safety.
- Steel stringer retractable roller bridge over Hennepin Canal Lock 2 on Hennpin Canal Trail
- Bureau Junction, Bureau County, Illinois
- Open to pedestrians
- Built between 1892-1907
- Steel beams on rollers to retract bridge so barge traffic could pass under.
Total length: 35.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.28475, -89.36524 (decimal degrees)
41°17'05" N, 89°21'55" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/301931/4573066 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 51139 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- January 31, 2012: Added by Steve Conro