Siloam Springs State Park Bridge
I worked with a gent from Golden, IL, Ted Gilbert; He was then 62 yrs old. His parents lived south of this bridge when he was a kid and drove down a (now defunct) county road thru this part of the Park on their way to his grandparents farm about 6 miles north of here. He said it always sounded like the boards rolled up behind as you drove over it. I have not been able to determine the road #, and was unable to visit the bridge in July 2015 due to the park road being closed with tree / wind damage. This bridge has been wisely preserved in place at present day Siloam Springs (IL) State Park in the original picnic grounds area. I finally was able to visit last August 2017 and get pics and video. Last time I was at this campground was for a Sunday School picnic about 1965 or 66! There is an Illinois Stories episode by Mark McDonald on this historic site.
- Bowstring pony truss bridge over Branch McKee Creek
- Siloam Springs State Park, Adams County, Illinois, and Brown County, Illinois
- Open to traffic, posted for load
- This bridge was part of a long gone county road and is preserved in place.
- - Columbia Bridge Works of Dayton, Ohio
- D.H. Morrison of Dayton, Ohio
- Bowstring pony truss
Length of largest span: 43.0 ft.
Total length: 45.9 ft.
Deck width: 10.8 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.88674, -90.91716 (decimal degrees)
39°53'12" N, 90°55'02" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/678090/4417262 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Land survey
- T. 2 S., R. 5 W., Sec. 24
- 609 ft. above sea level
- Inventory number
- BH 53514 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- February 16, 2018: Updated by K. Allen Ballard: Update desription of of bridge & site.
- September 7, 2017: New photos from K. Allen Ballard
- May 25, 2016: Updated by K. Allen Ballard: Fix typos in description
- November 5, 2015: Updated by K. Allen Ballard: Update info; added category, local resident recollection of history
- October 8, 2013: New Street View added by J.P.
- September 18, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added photographs, refined stream name, changed status to open to traffic
- September 12, 2012: Updated by Tony Dillon: Added ca. date and probable fabricator
- September 12, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added category "Park"
- September 12, 2012: Added by James McCray
- James McCray - jamesinslocomb [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Bridge at Siloam Springs State Park - Panoramio Photo of Bridge
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
- K. Allen Ballard - speedeeprint [at] gmail [dot] com