Photo taken by Jeremy Ruble in May 2008
BH Photo #114292
My company's plating vendor, Bill Barnett, has lived nearby this bridge for at least 40+ years. The local name is Wilson Bridge. A gentleman named Pete Anderson told Bill that he hauled the materials & iron for this bridge from Mendon, IL to the construction site, a distance of about 7-8 miles. It was unloaded by derrick from the train @ Mendon, IL, then driven by multiple horse team & 5th wheel trailer. upon reaching the site, he would swing his team in close to where the bridge was built and drop the wagon front end on the ground. The team was rehitched to the back end, the materials secured by an unknown means and the wagon was pulled out from under it for the workmen to access.
- Through truss bridge over Bear Creek on 1050th Avenue
- Adams County, Illinois
- Open to traffic
- Built 1922
- - Rochester Bridge Co. of Rochester, Indiana
- 7 Panel Riveted Pratt through truss
Length of largest span: 143.1 ft.
Total length: 145.0 ft.
Deck width: 15.7 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 15.5 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- 1050th Avenue Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.16386, -91.30929 (decimal degrees)
40°09'50" N, 91°18'33" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/643976/4447314 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2008)
- Inventory numbers
- IL 001-3097 (Illinois bridge number)
BH 36617 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of March 2018)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 22.1 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- September 19, 2016: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Riveted"
- September 19, 2016: Updated by K. Allen Ballard: Update misc. specs
- March 28, 2016: Updated by K. Allen Ballard: Bridge Status: Still Open but, was told by a local that the bridge is now on a 6 month inspection cycle.
- October 31, 2014: Updated by K. Allen Ballard: Update name to Wilson Bridge; added some local history knowledge.
- July 3, 2008: Updated by Jeremy Ruble
- May 31, 2008: New photos from Jeremy Ruble
- May 18, 2008: Added by Jeremy Ruble
- Jeremy Ruble - saukee0 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- K. Allen Ballard - speedeeprint [at] gmail [dot] com