BGCM - Orofino Creek Bridge
This is a rare Northern Pacific designed shallow floor plate-lattice through girder of 1895. It was originally installed at Lighting Creek on the NP mainline at Clark Fork Idaho, and carried a cast plate identifying it as such, into the 1970s. Original Cooper engine rating was about E-30, but it may have been strengthened.
See Engineering News, V38, 1897/07/08, p23+ & centerfold for background and drawings of this bridge. Also EN V38, 1897/07/15, p45+ & centerfold for related designs.
- Pony/through plate-lattice girder bridge over Orofino Creek on Railroad (BG&CM)
- Orofino, Clearwater County, Idaho
- Open to traffic
- Main span built 1895; relocated here 1945
- - Milwaukee Bridge & Iron Works of Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- - Bountiful Grain & Craig Mountain Railroad (BGCM)
- Camas Prairie Railroad (CSP)
- Great Northwest Railroad (GRNW)
- Northern Pacific Railway (NP)
- The original NP designed plate-lattice through girder span, combining plate girder construction at the ends, and a lattice girder in the center half.
Length of largest span: 100.0 ft.
Total length: 150.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +46.47673, -116.25397 (decimal degrees)
46°28'36" N, 116°15'14" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 11/557268/5147288 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Orofino West
- Inventory number
- BH 56588 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- January 31, 2020: Updated by Geoff Hubbs: Added links to video and photo
- January 30, 2020: Updated by John Marvig: Added information from NP bridge records
- March 10, 2018: Updated by Luke: Added builder
- March 9, 2018: Updated by John C Stutz: Updated description, added historical references.
- June 12, 2013: Added by Luke Harden