Rating:
6 votes

Steyer Bridge

Photos 

Overview

Photo taken by Jason Smith in December 2007

Enlarge

BH Photo #111418

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Spanning an unnamed stream in Twin Springs State Park, the Steyer Bridge, named after its builder Michael Steyer, is a short-span stone arch structure. Consisting of roughly-cut limestone voussoirs, the concrete-decked arch is supported by a stone and concrete substructure. The keystone of the arch is a block of dressed limestone, inscribed with "1875" and "Michael Steyer". Presumably, Winneshiek County contracted local stone mason Steyer in 1875 to erect this stone arch. Although stone arches are rare in Iowa, Winneshiek County is an area which was conducive for the construction of this particular bridge design. Stone suitable for the arch was readily available throughout the region. The central part of the county is floored primarily by Trenton limestone, which gradually changes to galena in the southwest corner. Several extensive quarry companies located in the county separated and cut the stone. Near Decorah, pure high-grade limestone of a light-grey color was quarried. Given the abundance of materials, the masonry arch seemed a logical and economical choice for small-scale crossings. Since its construction, the arch has carried moderate vehicular traffic in the park with no alterations of note. Because it is an example of vernacular engineering and is one of the few examples of stone arch design in Iowa, the Steyer bridge is therefore both a historically and structurally significant transportation-related resource [Crow-Dolby and Fraser 1992].

Facts 

Overview
Bridge over Twin Springs Creek on Oneata Drive
Location
Winneshiek County, Iowa
Status
Open to traffic
History
Limestone deck arch was locally built by Michael Steyer.
Builder
- Michael Steyer
Design
Stone arch
Approximate latitude, longitude
+43.29832, -91.81114   (decimal degrees)
43°17'54" N, 91°48'40" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
15/596432/4794629 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Decorah
Land survey
Section 20, T98N-R8W
Inventory number
BH 36197 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Categories 

19th Century (6,182)
Arch (11,192)
Built 1875 (92)
Built during 1870s (897)
Deck arch (10,431)
Have street view (22,077)
Iowa (5,792)
Michael Steyer (1)
Open (36,571)
Owned by county (18,854)
Stone arch (2,649)
Winneshiek County, Iowa (85)

Update Log 

  • March 27, 2015: Photo imported by Dave King
  • January 19, 2014: New Street View added by Luke Harden
  • July 22, 2011: Updated by Luke Harden: Added description
  • February 6, 2008: Added by Jason Smith

Sources 

Comments 

Steyer Bridge
Posted February 6, 2008, by Jason Smith (JDSmith77 [at] gmx [dot] net)