Owens Covered Bridge
Historic American Buildings Survey C.C. Woodburn, Photographer. January 30, 1934 South End
Photo taken by Historic American Buildings Survey
View photos at Library of Congress
The Owens Covered Bridge is the only covered bridge in Polk County. It was originally built in 1878 over the old North River channel on a road from Martinís Ferry to Winterset, two miles northeast of Carlisle in Polk County. In 1939, the road and the North River channel were relocated north of the covered bridge site leaving the old bridge without a road and river. In 1968, Polk County Conservation Board promised to restore and move the bridge, board by board, nearly eight miles to Easter Lake Park. The bridge is now restricted to foot traffic and located on the southern lake shore near Shelter #1.
- Howe through truss bridge over Branch of Yeader Creek on a pedestrain path in Lake Easter Park
- Des Moines, Polk County, Iowa
- Open to pedestrians
- Built 1887 over North River; Relocated to Lake Easter Park,
- Howe through truss
Span length: 100.0 ft.
Total length: 100.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.54053, -93.56013 (decimal degrees)
41°32'26" N, 93°33'36" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/453279/4598915 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 37424 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- October 31, 2013: New Street View added by Luke Harden
- January 16, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added photographs, moved entry to Polk County as bridge was located in Polk County, merged info from my original entry and deleted that entry.
- January 11, 2013: Updated by Tony Dillon: Added name and other information
- September 13, 2008: Added by J.R. Manning
- J.R. Manning - thekitchenguy [at] sbcglobal [dot] net
- HABS IA-30-2 - Covered Bridge, Carlisle vicinity, Warren County, IA
- Luke Harden - lukemh9 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com