IAIS - Walnut Creek Bridge
Originally built at Marquette, Iowa as Bridge #R-18 across Bloody Run Creek in 1896. The bridge was moved here 1917.
Information comes from the Milwaukee Road Archives at the Milwaukee Central Library.
- Pony truss bridge over Walnut Creek on Iowa Interstate Railroad
- Des Moines, Polk County, Iowa
- Open to traffic
- Built 1896 at Marquette, Iowa; moved here 1917
- - Carnegie Steel Co. of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (Iron/Steel Manufacturer)
- Wisconsin Bridge & Iron Co. of Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- - Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (MILW)
- Iowa Interstate Railroad (IAIS)
- Iowa Railroad (IRRC)
- 1 Span Trestle
1-105' Pratt pony truss
1 Span Trestle
Length of largest span: 105.0 ft.
Total length: 142.0 ft.
- Also called
- MILW Bridge #Y-8
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.58331, -93.70234 (decimal degrees)
41°34'60" N, 93°42'08" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/441455/4603751 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Des Moines SW
- Inventory number
- BH 49363 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- January 27, 2023: Updated by John Marvig: added builder and build date
- May 8, 2022: Updated by John Marvig: added relocation information
- October 19, 2017: New photos from John Marvig
- August 24, 2016: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Riveted"
- October 19, 2015: New photos from John Marvig
- October 31, 2013: New Street View added by Luke Harden
- July 4, 2013: New photos from John Marvig
- May 7, 2013: Photo imported by John Marvig
- July 30, 2012: Updated by John Marvig: Added information
- May 10, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added category "Riveted"
- January 25, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added category "Iowa Interstate Railroad"
- August 16, 2011: Added by Luke Harden