UP - Eddyville Rail Bridge
This bridge and it's southern neighbor (UP - Industrial Park Bridge) were once one massive structure, totaling a whopping 3,185ft. The area between the two bridges was formerly linked by a 12 span (246') timber pile trestle, a single span (22') I-beam, and then a huge 134 span (1841') timber pile trestle. A bad flood in 1964 wiped out a large portion of the middle of the bridge, including the I-beam span and a significant part of the timber trestles. Rather than rebuilding these spans, the CNW filled in the area and rebuilt a shorter approach trestle, creating two separate bridges.
- Pratt through truss bridge over Des Moines River & Muchakinock Creek on Union Pacific Railroad
- Eddyville, Monroe County, Iowa
- Open to traffic
- First Bridge built 1870, second built 1884, this one built ca. 1926, approach washed out and filled in 1964
- - American Bridge Co. of New York
- - Chicago & North Western Railway (CNW)
- Minneapolis & St. Louis Railway (M&StL; MSTL)
- Union Pacific Railroad (UP)
- 7 Pratt through trusses with A-frame portal bracing and riveted connections. South approach consists of trestle spans.
7 Sp. Pin connected Pratt Through Truss (977')
12 Sp. Timber Pile Trestle (246')
1 Sp. I-Beam (22')
134 Sp. Timber Pile Trestle (1841')
1 Sp. Warren Through Truss (99')
Total length pre-1964: 3185ft.
Source: 1959 CNW track chart
Length of largest span: 142.0 ft.
Total length: 1,215.0 ft.
- Also called
- M&StL - Des Moines River Bridge (Eddyville)
M&StL - Eddyville Rail Bridge
UP - Des Moines River Bridge (Eddyville)
CNW - Des Moines River Bridge (Eddyville)
CNW - Eddyville Rail Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.15565, -92.64153 (decimal degrees)
41°09'20" N, 92°38'29" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/530077/4556098 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 51934 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- October 3, 2016: Updated by Dylan VanAntwerp: Added info
- January 13, 2016: New photo from Tim Courtney
- August 16, 2013: New photos from John Marvig
- July 2, 2013: New photos from John Marvig
- June 30, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added builder
- May 7, 2013: Updated by John Marvig: Added information
- March 2, 2013: Updated by Dylan VanAntwerp: Added category "Chicago & North Western Railway"
- July 24, 2012: Photo imported by Luke Harden
- June 24, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Corrected railroad
- April 3, 2012: Added by Jason Smith
- Jason Smith - flensburg [dot] bridgehunter [dot] av [at] googlemail [dot] com
- John Marvig - marvigj27 [at] gmail [dot] com