Wabash Railroad Bridge #2961
Written by James Holzmeier
The original 1891 bridge at this location was a Howe truss bridge, later replaced by Wabash RR in 1905 with a pile trestle. Wabash renewed that bridge in 1928 and the RR data sheet reflects it was a 9-span pile trestle with frame bents on concrete footings, 127' in length. In 1955, Wabash removed the 1928 bridge and replaced it with a 73.7' DPG span, which had four 14' pile trestle spans.
- Lost bridge over Wilson's Creek on Wabash Railroad
- Marion County, Iowa
- Demolished & (normally) inundated, but the remains of the bridge's timber bent supports can be seen at times of low water level on the Des Moines River
- Original 114' low truss bridge built 1891, renewed 1905 & 1928; replaced with this bridge 1955; removed account of line abandonment concurrent with Lake Red Rock project
- - Wabash Railroad (WAB)
Deck width: 16.8 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 32.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.48855, -93.27667 (decimal degrees)
41°29'19" N, 93°16'36" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/476904/4593030 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numer
- BH 64423 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- December 30, 2014: Essay added by James Holzmeier
- December 5, 2014: Updated by James Holzmeier: Updated location