Wabash - English Creek Bridge
Wabash Railroad Bridge #2889
Wabash Railroad Bridge #2889 over English Creek
Photo taken by James Holzmeier in October 2014
License: Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike (CC BY-SA)
BH Photo #296937
Bridge renewed 1905, per Wabash Bridge & Building book.
The original 1891 bridge at this location was replaced by this Whipple Through Truss span in 1916. This Whipple span was originally "Span A" of Wabash Bridge #499 over the Grand River at Brunswick, Missouri.
Further research has turned up that this Whipple span was replaced in 1932 by a 163' deck plate girder span, which lasted until the time of the line abandonment account of Lake Red Rock project (1968)
- Lost Whipple truss bridge over English Creek on former Wabash RR
- Harvey, Marion County, Iowa
- Demolished with piers remaining
- Original 92' Howe truss bridge at this location built 1891; replaced 1916 with this bridge; replaced 1932 with a 163' DPG span (removed 1968 account of line abandonment for Lake Red Rock project)
- - Wabash Railroad (WAB)
- Whipple through truss
Total length: 157.8 ft.
Deck width: 16.8 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 22.0 ft.
- Also called
- Wabash Railroad Bridge #2889
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.32536, -92.92736 (decimal degrees)
41°19'31" N, 92°55'38" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/506078/4574879 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 56087 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- December 23, 2014: Updated by James Holzmeier: Updated history and description with new information regarding the replacement of this span
- October 26, 2014: Updated by James Holzmeier: Updated Description to reflect that this was the SECOND bridge at this location, coming from Missouri as a replacement for the original span.
- October 3, 2014: Updated by Jason Smith: Updated bridge design
- October 2, 2014: Updated by James Holzmeier: Added bridge measurements
- October 2, 2014: Updated by Luke: Edited type
- April 23, 2013: Updated by Dylan VanAntwerp: Added categories "Wabash Railroad", "railroad"